November 30, 2012

Curry Pork Loin and Rice

Before last night I had absolutely zero experience in cooking raw pork.  I had bought some for a BBQ and it didn't get used, so I spent a while thinking of what to do with the meat.  Thankfully my husband suggested a curry- using those awesome premade curry sauces you can find in the grocery store.  I am pleased to report that "project curry pork" was a success, so I'm recording my recipe to share with you fine people.

Ingredients:
1 cup white or brown rice
Water for rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
Curry powder
1 lb boneless pork loin chops
1 jar curry sauce (we used Korma Simmer Sauce from Fresh and Easy)

Directions:
1.  Cook rice in a pot according to package directions.  Once it's done, remove from heat and cover to keep it warm until the rest of the food is done.
2.  While rice is cooking, heat olive oil in a large frying pan.  Season both sides of the chops with curry powder, then place them in the frying pan.  Cook them until the surface on both sides begins to brown, about 3 minutes each side.
3.  Add curry sauce to the pan and heat to bubbling.  Continue cooking the chops in the sauce for 10-15 minutes, flipping them over every few minutes.  Remove chops and cut them down the middle to check for done-ness.  If they are still very pink in the center you can return them to the pan and cook for a few more minutes.
4.  There are two ways to serve this.  First, you can keep the chops whole (aside from being cut in half in the previous step) and serve them on a bed of rice, pouring some sauce on top of them.  A different option (the one I used) is to chop up the pork loin once it's fully cooked, return it to the curry sauce pan and add the rice, stirring until well combined.  You can then scoop the mixture into bowls.

**Note: I would recommend using tongs to flip the chops over.  This will reduce the "splatter" of sauce everywhere, which happened when I tried to use a spatula.

No comments:

Post a Comment